Antioch Christian Church

13088 E. Dix-Texico Rd. Texico,IL 62889 (618)266-7356

Our Ministry




Jonathan "Jono" Schnautz has been minister at Antioch since October 1978.  Jonathan is a graduate of St. Louis Christian College.  Wife Dee Ann is a talented musician and shares her talents at Antioch and throughout the region.  Jonathan and Dee Ann have 2 children, Sadie and Sam.




What We Believe


We Believe. . .

· the Bible is the inspired, infallible Word of God.

· there is one God, eternally existent in three persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

· in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, His bodily resurrection, and His ascension to Heaven.

· in Jesus’ second return to earth and in resurrection from the dead at His return: resurrection to eternal life for the saved and eternal punishment for the lost.

· in baptism by immersion for the forgiveness of sins.

· in meeting each Lord’s Day for communion, prayer, Bible teaching, and fellowship as is prescribed in the Bible.


  Antioch Christian Church enjoys fellowship with thousands of Christian Church/Churches of Christ while understanding that each congregation is subject only to the will of Jesus Christ, who is “Head of the Church” according to the Bible.  Therefore, our congregation selects its leaders from among its membership to fill biblically defined offices.

The New Testament gives us the following pattern for salvation.  To be saved through Jesus Christ, one must:

          a.  Hear the gospel message. (Romans 10:17)

          b.  Believe that Jesus Christ is Lord  and Savior. (John 3:15,16)

          c.  Repent of sins. (Acts 2:38, 3:19, 17:30)

d.  Confess Christ as God’s Son.  (Matt.10:32, Romans 10:9,10)

e.  Be baptized through immersion. (1  Peter 3:18-22)

f.  Continue to live a life of prayer, discipleship, and Christian growth. (Romans 1:17, Acts 2:42, Colossians 4:2, Philippians 4:6)


We welcome all to our worship services.   While we encourage those who want to show a strong commitment to our congregation to place their membership with us, we believe that the Bible teaches that the only true membership in Jesus Christ’s Church is through baptism and belief.  All baptized believers belong to the Church .

Our History


    In January 1859 Benjamin and Elizabeth Hawkins deeded 2 acres to the authorities of Jefferson County for the “sole purpose of Divine Worship and Interment of the Dead.”   Early services were originally held at nearby Bee Hive School, and in a log cabin located on a hill a short distance down the road to the east of the current building location.  In 1883 a building was built on the property provided by Hawkins which still serves as the current auditorium for worship services.  Timbers for the building were cut from the Harve Misenhammer’s farm located south of the church.   Charter member names included Hawkins, Bruce, Rollinson, and Tate.  Richard Hawkins, son of early church trustee Elisha Hawkins, married  Harriet Donahoo at Antioch in 1886.   Early preachers in Antioch’s beginnings included Harold Stark, Bill Hill, Jim Snow, Marion Boles, Jack Hawkins, Dewey Hawkins, Orville Hawkins, and S.W. Farlow.


     Antioch enjoyed growth until the 1930’s when attendance started to decline, and eventually the building was only used for occasional services and funerals.  The year 1959 became a year of renewal for Antioch.  In early 1959 meetings were held to elect officers and teachers to reopen Antioch for weekly Sunday School and worship services.  Sanford Hill was elected Sunday School Superintendent.  Bob Raver from Salem began serving as minister.  A 2 week revival was held in March with Verneil Garren bringing the nightly message.   In May the annual homecoming was held and the 100th anniversary of the deeding of the church property was celebrated.  The oldest church member who attended the anniversary celebration was Etta Belle Rollinson who joined in 1898.   Antioch’s first Vacation Bible School was held in the summer with 15 teachers and 57 children.  Also in 1959 a gas furnace was installed to replace the original coal stove.  In 1964 an addition with classrooms was built to the front of the original building.  In recent years, a fellowship hall and additional classrooms have been added.  Ministers who have served since 1959 include Bob Raver (1959 – 1971), Gary Farthing, David Daniels, Bill Cash, Bob Davis (1973 – 1978), John Gaston, and present minister Jonathan Schnautz (1978 – present).